CISP Center for International Studies & Programs Logo
Skip Navigation Links Skip Navigation Links Skip Navigation Links Skip Navigation LinksSkip Navigation LinksHome > Admissions > Health Insurance

Health Insurance Requirement

F-1 Student

Insurance is a requirement. Effective Aug. 1, 1995, all F-1 and J-1 visa applicants must agree to obtain and maintain health insurance as a condition of registration and continued enrollment in the California State University. This is a condition of receiving an I-20 or DS-2019 form. Such insurance must be in amounts as specified by the United States Information Agency (USIA) and NAFSA: Association of International Educators. The campus president or designee shall determine which insurance policies meet these criteria. Further information may be obtained from the Center for International Studies and Programs.

J-1 Student / Scholar

The U.S. Information Agency requires all J-1 Exchange Visitors and their accompanying dependents to have health and accident insurance at the following minimum level of coverage:

  • medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
  • repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000
  • expenses associated with medical evacuation in the amount of $50,000
  • deductible not to exceed $500 per accident/illness

Therefore, J-1 scholars are required to either purchase sufficient health insurance in their country, or upon arrival in the US may purchase health insurance which meets the minimum requirements. In other words, if you don’t have the required health insurance from another provider, you must purchase it through the Center for International Studies and Programs.

If health insurance coverage is purchased from another source, the insurance corporation underwriting the policy must have one of the following ratings:

  • an A.M. Best rating of “A-” or above
  • an Insurance Solvency International, Ltd., (ISI) rating of “A-i” or above
  • a Standard & Poor’s Claimspaying Ability rating of “A-” or above
  • a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of “B+” or above
  • Insurance coverage backed by the full faith and credit of your home government meets these requirements.

The U.S. government regulations require the University to notify the U.S. Information Agency and to terminate my J-1 exchange visitor status if they determine that you have willfully failed to comply with the insurance requirements.


Follow us at:

CISP Facebook Link CISP Linkedin Link CISP YouTube Link