CISP Center for International Studies & Programs Logo
Skip Navigation Links Skip Navigation LinksSkip Navigation LinksHome > VISA Services

VISA Services

A citizen of a foreign country who seeks to enter the United States (U.S.) generally must first obtain a U.S. visa, which is placed in the traveler’s passport, a travel document issued by the traveler’s country of citizenship. At CSUSB we host 3 different categories of visa holders: F-1, J-1 and H1-B.

While having a visa does not guarantee entry to the U.S., it does indicate a consular officer at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad has determined you are eligible to seek entry for that specific purpose. DHS/CBP inspectors, guardians of the nation’s borders, are responsible for admission of travelers to the U.S., for a specified status and period of time.


The F-1 visa is a non-immigrant, full-time, student visa that allows foreigners to pursue education in the United States. When the student applicant is accepted into an academic program at CSUSB, the Center for International Studies and Programs will issue a form I-20 which lists your program and biographical information, which you will use to apply for an F-1 visa at a US Embassy/consulate. Please contact the nearest US Embassy/consulate for instructions on securing an F-1 visa.


The exchange visitor (J) nonimmigrant visa category is provided for persons who are approved to participate in exchange visitor programs in the U.S. The scholar must first apply, meet the requirements, and be accepted for one of the Exchange Visitor Program categories at CSUSB (there are both student and visiting scholars categories). Therefore, you must apply as a visiting student at CSUSB from your home institution or you must petition as a research scholar or to an academic department to host your stay at CSUSB. For more information please visit our J-1 visiting scholar section.


The Center for International Studies and Programs will process H-1B1 petition for new tenure-track nonresident faculty only. For all other positions, the beneficiary must seek the assistance of a lawyer.


Follow us at:

CISP Facebook Link CISP YouTube Link CISP Skype Link